In the early 1900s, a group of industrious and curious central Iowans heard about a new invention making it possible for people to talk over wires. New gadgets were bought and formed into a mechanism hooking telephone lines together. The excited gentlemen decided on a ring code to signal each other to carry on their conversation, most commonly spoken in Norwegian.
In 1902, an area in the back of the A. E. Nass Hardware Store was designated for the switchboard and operator with each phone line having a dedicated ring. The system evolved. Through the next years, the switchboard moved around town as space became available. When the operation moved into The Bank of Huxley, a new switchboard was installed. It was equipped with 12 country lines and 32 in-town "drops." One popular toll-free circuit was provided to Slater while a toll line was also installed to Nevada where connections could be made to Des Moines.
The Huxley Communications Cooperative gives customers the best products and services in telecommunications technology while benefiting the membership by operating a successful coop. With its recent focus on expansion and community growth, Huxley Communications now services over 2000 households in five central Iowa communities and rural areas. Huxley Communications became the first telephone company in Iowa to launch fiber-to-the-home technology. While providing state-of-the-art technology and delivering outstanding customer service, Huxley Communications is also very active in its communities, contributing annually to community-based, non-profit organizations.